Complaints procedure

If you have a complaint or concern:

  • Please make an appointment to discuss the issue with your child’s teacher. This can be made via the school office or speaking to a member of staff on the gate
  • If further discussion is required, please make an appointment to see the Headteacher or the Deputy Head or send in a written account of your concerns
  • If still not satisfied, your concern should be sent, in writing, to the the Chair of the Governing body
  • If still dissatisfied, parents should write to Greenwich Education Department.
  • To view the Complaints Policy please click here.